Thursday, October 8, 2009

Out of the gates!


I have been talking about a food blog to complement the cookbook I am working on for ages, so here it goes.

Born in France to an Italian father and an Israeli mother, you could say I was born, bred and raised to eat everything. A true Omnivore. My family instilled in me a powerful love for food, both eating and cooking it. But 7 years ago I met the love of my life, a picky eater and a vegetarian. At first I was devastated, I probably would have preferred an alcoholic or compulsive gambling as a vice. However, over the course of our relationship, he has learned to open up to new food experiences and I, though still an omnivore, have discovered the varied and exciting world of vegetarian cuisine.

When I first set out to cook vegetarian meals for my husband, I found that universe of cuisine dubbed veg was a sad and unfortunate place to be. Most vegetarian restaurants and cookbooks seemed to try to pass second rate versions of non-veg meals using meat substitutes as cuisine. The only alternatives were Asian or Indian cuisine, which while excellent, are not the Mediterranean style that I most love and gravitate towards. Instead, the best vegetarian food seemed to be at non-veg restaurants and included in standard cook books.

My goal is to create a playlist of recipes that prove that vegetarian Mediterranean cuisine is varied, exciting, healthy and delicious!

Now, I am not a vegetarian, and every once in a while a non-veg item or modification will work its way in. Please Don't be mad...

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see this; you have a true, rare blend of skills - innovative yet approachable cuisine that sounds delicious, fresh and healthy...

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete